We’re finally here.. Weeks of tinkering and I finally get to watch 8 games this weekend. Before I jump into my lineup, I’ll quickly summarize my heuristics for choosing my team.
Season Strategy/Key Tenets
The two main points I considered when picking my team this year were:
- Uncertainty with fixtures this season. Fixture congestion (blank and double gameweeks) and the possibility of fixture cancellation with COVID-19.
- Lots of options to choose from at the premium and quasi-premium price points.
These two points led me to my key tenets for building my team:
- I want to have a playing bench to cover squad rotation, injuries and possible blank gameweeks.
- I want to hold my wildcard as long as possible ahead of the mess of Gameweek 18/19. With that in mind, my first team has to have a 16 gameweek horizon with mid to longer term picks.
- I want to give myself as much flexibility with my squad template as possible. This means starting with two premium options in DEF, MID and FWD lines so I can easily move to any player in the game.
- Prioritize choosing the best/safest attacking assets from the best attacks in the league. I think that City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United will be the best attacks this year, so I want an asset from each every week.
- Wait until the end of the week to transfer. Wait until the end of the week to transfer. Wait until the end of the week to transfer. Wait until the end… (with the uncertainty of the season, I think it’s worth waiting and sacrificing the potential squad value increase)
- Try to use transfers on captaincy options OR to fix glaring errors in team. Can take hits early to do this. Don’t waste on sideways moves (like ASM to Armstrong)